- Pork Belly: skin-on
- Fine Salt: or twice the amount of kosher salt
- Sugar: plain granulated white sugar
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
How to Cook Pork Belly: Skin-On
- For skin-on pork belly pat skin dry with a paper towel and score skin with a very sharp knife on the diagonal about ½-inch apart. Repeat this cutting in the opposite direction to create a diamond pattern (see image below). Take care to make shallow cuts – it’s okay to go into the fat, but don’t cut so deep that you go into the meat.
- Season a one kg piece of pork belly (skin on or skinless) with a dry rub of sugar, salt and pepper on top and bottom. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day roast in a heavy, oven-safe pan or skillet in a 450°F oven on the middle rack for the first 30 minutes and then an hour at 275°F (medium heat) Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Once chilled, slice into thick pieces and brown until crispy to enjoy alone or in a variety of recipes from salads to soups to sandwiches and more!