A culinary masterpiece that transforms succulent lamb leg into a symphony of smoky, tangy, and aromatic perfection. Marinated in a medley of spices and herbs, this dish is then roasted to tender, juicy perfection in an oven, perfect for festive meats and christmas roasts.
- 1 (7-pound) leg of lamb
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
Making the marinade
Pound garlic to a paste with sea salt using a mortar and pestle (or mince and mash with a heavy knife) and stir together with rosemary and pepper.
Marinate the Lamb Leg
Place the lamb leg in a lightly oiled roasting pan, then rub the paste all over lamb allowing it to marinate. . Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Cooking the Lamb
- Sear the lamb on all sides in a large pan , till all sides are golden brown.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Roast lamb in the middle of the oven at medium heat for 1.5 hours
- Remove the lamb after 1.5 hours and bruch some marinade onto it again to avoid the meat from drying up.
- Put the Lamb leg into the oven again for 1 hour , till the meat is thoroughly cooked and almost falling off the bone ,
- Remove the lamb leg and set it aside onto a cutting board and let it stand for 15 to 25 minutes (internal temperature will rise to about 140°F for medium-rare).
Creating Serving Sauce
- Add red wine to pan and deglaze by boiling over moderately high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, 1 minute.
- Season pan juices with salt and pepper and serve with lamb.